I promised, so here it is. I’m just going to step back and let the pictures speak for themselves. Here we go!
As you can see, it’s turned out lovely! It’s all nice and organized and clean and I know exactly what I have and where it is. What you can’t see is the long and difficult road it took me to get there.
I followed the KonMari method when I tidied my craft room. I had three days off work – December 30th & 31st, and January 1st – and I had a plan. Kondo suggests dividing things into categories, gathering them all in one place, and then going through them in one go. As a lot of my craft supplies overlap with each other, I started with the most obvious categories first. On day one I did sewing supplies and fabric. This one category took almost the entire day… and I don’t even consider myself a sewing person! I also did yarn and embroidery, but I kind of cheated on yarn a little because I went through that thoroughly on my first round and my entire stash is on Ravelry.
On day two, I started with some small stuff – painting and drawing supplies, printmaking, paper making, etc. – things that only take up a box or two apiece. Then I dove into jewelry, which took the rest of the day. I never realized I had so many chains! One of my biggest goals was to get rid of the two sets of tiny drawers that held all my beads. They came out of the drawers and into bags, and I got rid of a lot of things. Now, everything fits into the center cabinet of my white shelves!
Day three was the hardest part: scrapbooking and paper.I started with the boxes of embellishments and stuff, then moved on to my stickers and things on my homemade clip-it-up. Everything came off, and went into a set of drawers sorted by color. Almost everything came out of its packaging, too. Now I have that, plus, a box of alphabet stickers and a box of things that won’t fit in the drawers or which couldn’t be easily divided (like sheets of rub-ons). After embellishments, I went after rubber stamps. My mom used to be a Stampin’ Up demonstrator. I finally got rid of all the sets which were bugging me, and sorted the remaining ones into six cases organized by category. I got started on paper, but it was getting late so I had to stop.
Day four (Saturday) I had to go back to work, but not until the afternoon, so I got up early and finished paper. I did some other small stuff, swept the floor, and did some minor rearranging to find the perfect place for things.
I took the next two days off from tidying, then went back at it Tuesday night… this time, with the big changes: furniture Tetris! Always a fun game to play. Lots of things got moved and rearranged, and I realized that I didn’t need two desks (writing + media). I kept my big, heavy writing table, and decided to get rid of the other.
Wednesday night I put up my two new typewriter shelves, and did some other minor rearranging. I also had my mom help me haul the desk I was getting rid of out to the front porch.
Thursday I had the day off again. I borrowed my grandmother’s truck and made a Goodwill run with a full load. I dropped off eight boxes, three bags, and some assorted small items that wouldn’t fit in boxes (a lamp, a plastic set of drawers, a small TV stand, etc.). I came back, then headed over to The Create Exchange with another three boxes to drop off. I brought a few things home, but not much! When I came back, I went through the last few boxes remaining and dealt with them, then did another pass with the broom and then the shop vac (take that, spider webs!) before I finally decreed I was finished and took the above pictures.
There are still a handful of things that need to be done, like putting up my fourth shelf (has to wait until the back corner has been cleaned out), or finishing the rug I’m crocheting to go in the space, but I’m pretty much done!
Now I can start making stuff and get it messy again… but cleaning up after will be so much easier!